Re: re radiator cleaning/painting

In a message dated 5/30/99 8:01:10, jmackro@domain.elided writes:

<<  But, what I REALLY wonder is how much cooling efficiency is lost due to
putting a coat of paint - ie, an insulator - over the radiator.  It isn't as
if a brass radiator is going to rust or anything.  Other than asthetics -
which givent he quality of most of these paintjobs is questionable -  is
there any benefit in painting a newly-cleaned radiator?

Jay Mackro >>

You are quite right that a brass radiator will not rust (duh?!)  The thin
coat of black paint is purely esthetic. The thin coat of black paint will do
little, I believe, to efficiency of heat transfer. I have no basis for this
belief, except that the coat of paint is so thin, I can't see it making much
difference.  The radiator shop I worked at offered a 'bare' finish if the
customer desired.  (As an aside, the brass and solder finish did look a bit
weird; unfinished sort of.)  If you wanted to, I would imagine that painting
just the tank(s) - top/bottom or sides, depending - would allow it look OK,
without sacrificing efficiency, remembering that the cooling done in the core
of the radiator, not so much in the tanks. (Another aside - a reminder that
aluminum radiators often have plastic side tanks!!)

A final footnote: If the paint were such a scourge, would the manufacturers
provide us with pre-painted radiators?  I have two NOS 105/115 GTV radiators
sitting my garage, waiting for new owners, and they are both black.

Dassit for now -

Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California
76 Alfetta GT
87 Ducati/Cagiva Alazzura 650SS - Now on the block.  Illness forces sale.  No
kidding, dammit!