Re: alfa-digest V7 #765

In a message dated 05/29/99 21:05:13, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 08:17:04 -0400
From: Phil Gicante <pggicant@domain.elided>
Subject: 164S/L vs. GTV-6
...but I think the GTV-6 can be
considered a "classic" or eventually will be, whereas I don't think the
164 will attain that status.. If so, I'm hesitant to submit a GTV-6 to
the salted roads of Ontario for 4 or 5 months.. >>

So. I'll be bold enough to proclaim myself a winter GTV6 expert (just
completed the third winter with the 84 GTV6 as sole winter transport (unless
you count my muck-luks). I'll tell you man, I'm running the best snow and ice
tires money can buy and this car is a true challenge in the winter. Handling
is actually quite good in the snow. The 50/50 weight distribution is a real
plus. But I get this car stuck high centered if'n Mr. Snowplow doesn't get
out here before I try to trundle off to work. My max unplowed snow depth is
about 6 inches. Beyond that it is a "no go". That aside it can be a bitch to
get the car started on a -30 degree morning unless you are running very light
weight synthetic oil. (I haven't tried a block heating element yet).
I'll go as far as to call the GTV6 a truely fun winter car but, it has a
couple limitations that can be coped with in most cases.
For the fun I have with this car having to endure the occasional walk to work
or cab ride is no big deal.
Oh, the road salt thing. The "powers that be" here in Omaha thing the city
should be glazed with calcite and salt for a full 5 months out of the year.
I've had pretty good success staving off the oxidation with a "once every
fall" liberal coating of spray can rubberized undercoating into the wheel
wells. Yeah, it's rusting some. If anyone wants to see what three winters of
road salt does to a GTV6 look me up at the convention, the car will be there
for the saturday events.
Good luck with the decision.
JimboMGA@domain.elided
1984 GTV6 (graunch)