164S/L vs. GTV-6

Greetings....

As a sidebar/related item to the current 164S vs L debate, I have a
question that will probably bring more digesters into the fray.... I own
an '89 Milano and am currently commuting on the weekends from Toronto
ON. to London ON. (about 400km round-trip) Canada.. I'm doing a 16 month
engineering internship in Toronto but come to London for another job...

The problem is that when my Milano has a problem, I still need a way to
get back to London and then back again to Toronto... So what better
reason to get another Alfa.... As much as I love Alfas, it is not the
best vehicle to have if you only have one car.  Not for general
reliability, but more for the delivery time of parts and the scarcity of
some... Anyway, I'm looking at either a 164 or a GTV-6.  I've decided on
the S model, simply because I haven't found an L up here with a 5-speed
transmission.  HOwever there are a few 85/86 GTV-6s for sale and I'm
having a tough time deciding between the two....

The car will have to be driven during this coming winter.  Following
that, I'll be back in London where it won't be a necessity.. Both cars
are extremely desirable in my opinion, but I think the GTV-6 can be
considered a "classic" or eventually will be, whereas I don't think the
164 will attain that status.. If so, I'm hesitant to submit a GTV-6 to
the salted roads of Ontario for 4 or 5 months.. The 164 with its
galvanized body doesn't concern me as much.. Plus I believe the 164 is
more driveable in such conditions...

Both cars have great lines, great engines etc.etc,.. Some of the 164
maintenance costs could kill me though... The driving will be done on
the freeway/highway with limited city driving. Any
opinions/thoughts/flames? You can either email me directly or post to
the digest...

One last thing.. The latest malady to hit my Milano was a failed
magnetic pickup in the distributor.  Dealers referred to it as a pulse
generator kit... Price new is $300 Cdn!! Anybody else have this part
fail on them?.. A parts dealer up here had never ordered one in his

Thanks to all who respond.....

Philip Gicante
London/Toronto Ontario
89 Milano Gold
85/91 GTV-6/164?????

Oh yeah, my Mom can't stand the unreliable Alfa and wants me to get a
Toyota/Japanesee/reliable car.. Help me out............