Help with diagnosis

I'm having a major problem with loss of power on my 76 Alfetta Sedan
(spica injection)  and could use some help in diagnosing the problem.

I've been having problems with very low idling and reluctant starts (long
time cranking before turning over) but more distressing is the bucking at
higher rpms. When I'm between 3500 and 4000rpms, there will be
intermittent "hiccuping" where there is a second of power loss and the car
bucks. This bucking has not been gear specific; whether in the city or on
the highway, its that particular range of rpm that has been consistent
when the occassional bucking happens.

I'm unwilling to drive it since the other afternoon I started it cold and
I had 10 minutes of no acceleration. I had enough pull to come  away from
the curb but when pressing the gas pedal down, had no acceleration. I got
out of traffic by easing the clutch in and out and creeping along. When
looking to park the car (after 5-10 minutes from starting) the car
sputtered a bit and responded to the depressed accelerator pedal.

I can't seem to duplicate the bucking when I have the car in neutral
doing 3500rpms with the hood up and my face down in the engine
compartment.

 Could anyone suggest a test or two to determine whether it
is an electrical problem or some sort of fuel system leak or injector
problem?

Matthew Talmage
Santa Barbara, Ca
6500mdt0@domain.elided