re.:OH CRUD...THIS IS BAD

Hi John,
I'm sure others will express the same opinion, but calculating based on
market value of the car doesn't make sense (this coming from someone who's
in deep on his car). The return you get on the investment in your Alfa will
not be financial, but every time you wind out the engine on an empty stretch
of road you'll remember why. If it's in otherwise good shape, I would go
ahead. The other thing you could do is get used heads or a used engine (do I
hear 3.0 upgrade???).
I'm actually just going through a similar situation: I took my spider in to
the mechanic to have the driveshaft balanced, but had strong suspicions
something else was going on. Turns out the output shaft had rusted at the
end and ruined itself. The bill went from $90 to $675, plus add on another
$190 so I can get a new 2nd gear synchro while he's in there. So my bill has
increased to ten times its original amount. But I'm getting it back tomorrow
and am already looking forward to hearing that exhaust note and driving
vibration-free.
Hope this helps
Chris Keen
'77 spider