Re: spider 2000 water pump

Godfrey wrote:

>according to my shop manual (and watching it done on my Spider
>last year because I don't have the equipment to pull the crank pulley
>here at home), the water pump cannot be removed without removing the
>crank pulley on the 2000 engine .. there's evidently a clearance problem.
>I just checked my receipts: the labor to R&R the water pump on my Spider
>was billed at 4 hours, and the shop that did the work is has always
>billed me for time fairly. So perhaps 5 hours is a bit high, unless
>there's other work to be done.

For an owner, who only does the job once in a while, 5 hours is probably
more accurate.  You have to understand how the shop rates are arrived at.
Usually, a factory mechanic is allowed to do the job without being timed,
so that he is familiar with the procedure.  Then, he does the job again,
this time against the clock.  For a skilled garage mechanic, who maintains
his edge through his constant work, matching the shop time will be a bit of
a challenge, unless he recently did the same job on another car.  An owner,
whose edge isn't nearly as sharp, and who does the job every few years,
stands little chance of approaching the book values.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco