Dangerous Phrasebook

Charlie, are pulling a Monty Python's flaming Hungarian phrasebook on us?
(for non MP fans, refers to a gag in MP's And Now For Something Completely
Different)

>>Thu, 27 May 1999 13:14:11 EDT
>>From: Pottree@domain.elided
>>Subject: Spider heater valve, Mille Miglia, events
>>GASOLIO is how all the stations I saw refer to what we call gasoline in
the
>>States, petrol elsewhere. Previously, and from the hints in the owners
>>manuals I've treasured for all these years, the word was benzina, now
never
>>heard (even at boat yards).
GASOLIO is Italian for automotive diesel fuel (which some also refer to as
naphta or kerosene).  Maybe you were confused by Italy's ridiculous price
of gas.
For those who care, this is what they pay over there (from Esso Italy):
                    Lire/liter                US$/gal
Benzina Super Piombo          1935            3.97
 (Leaded 95 octane gas/petrol)

Benzina Super Verde      1855            3.81
 (Unleaded 92 octane gas/petrol)

Gasolio Autotrazione          1485            3.04
(Automotive Diesel)

At these prices, anybody might think that Benzina would be some exotic race
 fuel.
Let me know if all pumps have been mischievously relabelled since last
Christmas when I visited my folks in Rome.
You may have had a diesel powered car all along - quite popular given the
fuel price differential.  My father had a '83 Alfetta turbodiesel for a
while.
I liked riding in it because the turbo lag was so noticeable.

Carlo, SF CA
'86 Spider Quad