Spider heater valve, Mille Miglia, events

In a message dated 5/26/99 6:13:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Hal wrote:

 > What does it mean when I'm cruising along with the top down and the
 > stream of warm air that's been keeping my feet all toasty warm for the
 >
 > last twenty minutes suddenly turns tepid?

 Hal,

 This sounds similar to when the heater valve on my former 84 spider
 began to die.   >>

Just back from close to a month in Italy for the Mille Miglia and just
catching up on my Digests!

If you suspect the heater valve is going south on a spider, I suggest
replacement ASAP if you're using the car.  Somehow, this valve is positioned
(or positioned to leak hot fluid) directly over the pilot's accelerator foot,
and it usually lets go when you're wearing a new pair of Italian shoes.  Ask
me how I know.  Avoid a hotfoot and fix the valve.  After a while, they seem
to dissolve, and I think especially if you live in a hard water area like Los
Angeles and haven't always owned the car and suspect a PO may have foolishly
added TAP WATER to the coolant.

Congrats to the Finkelsteins of Canada - how could we have missed spotting
you lovebirds in Italy; we were in so many of the same places.  A note: we
also pulled and prodded to rent an Alfa (156) through Hertz, which has a
large fleet of them in rental service (N.B. - the 156 IS very popular in
Italy, and no wonder!).  Also called just before leaving USA and a day or two
before picking up the car in Roma.  Short story, we wound up with an Opel
Vectra wagon which did not break down but which was a dangerous dog to drive,
especially at speed or along the Amalfi Coast road.  This model also has
craftily-hidden window lift switches, which caused no end of riotous fun at
the Autostrada entrance when I couldn't figure out how to lower the window to
grab the ticket!  Also, contrary to USA myth, Italian drivers (from Sorrento
north, in my own experience) are great, and road and highway speeds are not
usually any greater than here in CA... EXCEPT for brand new, black, large
Mercedes Benz models, which universally whiz past at 130 - 150% of the speed
of traffic, probably to show off how much fuel they can burn and not feel it
in the pocketbook.

Did pretty well speaking Italian (thanks, mainly to the Italians!) and
learned a couple of surprise new words:

CODA In music, this means an ending, but on the Autostrada it means something
is wrong ahead, such as a crash or roadwork or ice, and instead of snaking
around the problem as we do in the USA or in England, all traffic stops and
waits until the road ahead is perfect, even if this takes several days!

GASOLIO is how all the stations I saw refer to what we call gasoline in the
States, petrol elsewhere. Previously, and from the hints in the owners
manuals I've treasured for all these years, the word was benzina, now never
heard (even at boat yards).

For more and a presentation of pix of the Mille Miglia, Museo Storico,
Biscaretti Museum, Stanguilini Museum, ItalDesign, and so much more, if
you're in the LA, CA, USA area join us tomorrow night, Fri 5/28, at the
monthly meeting of the ARO Southern California, 8 pm, Culver City Veterans
Memorial Park.

And don't forget, AROSC's Time Trial and Race this Memorial Day (Sat - Sun)
weekend at Willow Springs.  Even if it's too late to participate, this could
be a good time to come to the track and see what all the excitement's about!

Buon voyaggio, Autostrada Family!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
84 GTV-6