Re: 164 S vs L

C M Smith  writes
>>Properly designed cars will pull their maximum rpm in top gear, which
should also equate to the maximum attainable speed for that particular
vehicle, that's the way to set up a gearbox. Then the gear ratios should be
spread so as to achieve progressive and efficient acceleration over the
entire useable torque curve for the engine. The S does neither, sacrificing
elegance for stop light GP's, which North American's equate to performance.

Well, I must have gotten the only properly geared 164 S sold in the USA.  My
1991 S was running an indicated 154 MPH at just below 6500 RPM when I ran out
of road and had to start slowing down.  Speedo checks prior to and after the
top speed run indicated the actual speed was between 148-151 MPH, which is
about what it should be, since it goes 70 MPH at 3000 RPM in 5th gear.

John Justus (former owner of 1991 164 S, and Glen don't send flames about
DPO's please)
1995 164Q
1971 1750 GT Veloce