Re: Clicking 3 L GTV-6 and 355 Differential

>Now a question:  when I stand on the throttle above 4000 rpm (when the
>big torque comes in), I get a loud clicking sound coming from under the
>car that sounds like the noise you hear when pulling up a ratcheting
>parking brake, except much louder and the sound will continue until I
>get off the gas.  The same thing happens at even lower revs if the
>pavement is wet.  I know it happens when the drive wheels spin, and it
>may happen under strong acceleration even when I don't spin the rear
>wheels.  Why would it make this noise?

My GTV6 makes a similar sound when I step on the gas. It started after I
replaced the clutch and the front tranny mounts (which raised the front of
the transmission 1/4 inch). I think it's one of the giubo's hitting the
handbrake cable when the transmission or the driveshaft moves around under
high torque, as I can feel the rattle in the parking brake lever. The
center driveshaft support needs replacing, which probably allows the
driveshaft to move more than it should.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix

End of alfa-digest V7 #752