Re: taking the nose off of a 115 GTV

In AD7-744 Richard Welty asks for advice on good places to cut when salvaging
a nose from a 115 GT Veloce parts car for use in restoring another car.

Unless I had the two cars side by side and would be doing the work
concurrently and consecutively, I would cut behind the firewall and
doorposts, and high on the windshield posts, AND I would make sure I had two
pieces of printed literature (or photocopies of the relevant parts thereof).

Publication 1570, Body Shop Manual for Giulia and 1750 models, applies
equally to 115 2000 models. It uses a Giulia Saloon in the photos, but says
"The same procedure applies to all models in this range". After seven pages
on replacing the front crossmember, it spends six pages on the fenders and
front panels, removing the fender, removing the skirt (the sidewall of the
engine bay) and the skirt inner panel (which, with the skirt, forms the box
section front frame) if they are damaged, and replacing everything forward of
the firewall.

The second piece of literature would be the pages of the parts book covering
the front-end sheet metal. Part #105.44.50.001.01 is the firewall and all of
the structure forward of the firewall, pre-assembled; the same pages have the
separate parts, firewall, inner and outer skirts, crossmember, front
bulkhead, etc.; and a bit farther on there is an assembly of the entire
exterior sheet-metal, with a breakdown of the several parts which make it up.

Between the Body Shop Manual and the Parts Book one should be able to get a
fairly good idea of the parts, the way they were put together, the way they
come apart, and the ways they go back together. For Richard's case, a lot
depends on what deterioration is present in the car being restored; a likely
scenario would be parting everything forward of the firewall on the project
car, and then carefully removing the firewall from the front clip of the
parts car.

In a proper shop all of this would be done on the body alignment bench
(A.8.0901 in your Special Tools Catalog) but if that is not available I would
suggest tack-welding (or bolting) an armature of light steel tubing inside
the front clip so that every opening was fully triangulated during the
disassembly and reassembly process.

In Richard's case if he does not have the BSM and the Parts Book I can copy
the pertinent pages for him, but the entire Body Shop Manual is useful to
have, as it covers many other things- aligning doors, shimming hoods,
adjusting latches, removing and replacing glass, hanging headliners, where to
seal panel joints, etcetera. It may be present and usable on a CarDisk- don't
know, don't have any- but members of AROC can get photocopies of the whole
manual from the Club's Technical Librarian. (One of the several things that
AROC membership is good for.)

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.