Neil's Paint

Neil, well, initially to me it sounds as though your car has had some
weird wear throughout its life.  My Milano just turned 11 years and the
paint looks preey alright after the washing and waxing on sat, that is,
except for the a-hole marks others have left on it here and there.... My
car is black too--and that tends to show bad bits more than some other
colors.  Anyhow, I'm a believer in Maguire's products.  I'd suggest
starting off with their #9 Polish, then two coats of wax. It won't deal
with the points where the paint is worn off (????), but it will really
help to square away the rest of the paint.

Best of Luck--and elbow grease,

Adam