re: weak jackpoints on GTV6

Andrew-
I had a similiar problem with my '82 GTV6. In my case, a lot of the
structural beam that lies within the rockers was eaten away. It cost $$$$
to fix and that was only because the body man seriously underestimated the
extent of what the job would entail. I decided to have it fixed because: 1.
I got the car for a good price, 2. because i would have had a hard time
selling it with such a severe rust problem, and 3. because I really love
the car. Was it the best financial decision? Probably not. Intellectually I
know I would have been better off selling it for what i could get and
finding another in better overall condition. Am I sorry I decided to get it
fixed? No!

You need to check how bad the rust is. Get a screwdriver and remove the
stainless steel trim piece on top of the sill. This will allow you to pull
back the carpet and take a really close look at whats going on in there. Is
it attacking the structural beam that runs from behind the front wheel well
to front of the rear wheel well? On mine the inside surface of this beam
was severely eaten away, allowing outside edges of the floorpan to flap in
the breeze. Also, check the overall integrity of the corner behind the
front wheel well - floor pan, firewall, etc. You should take out the
splashgaurd inside the wheelwell to get a good look at the firewall. I
wouldn't want to be in an accident if those corners were really weak as
you'd be more likely to end up with crushed feet, etc.!

Also, find a reputable bodyman and pay him a few bucks to give it a good
poking and prodding - its worth it.

Good luck,
Sebastian