Re:AVS and A509s Compared

In a message dated 5/24/99 1:09:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Subject: AVS vs 509

As you could tell from my previous posts, I have lots of experience with the
A509s.  I do not have experience with the AVS, but from friends (including
one who has put both on his rice rocket) I've heard nothing but praise for
the stickiness of the AVS.  Both tires look good, with unidirectional tread
and built up shoulders.  I'd say the AVS is a little more aggressive in
performance than the A509, but the results you get depend on the weight of
the car, size tire picked, etc....stickier is not always better (yeah, I've
had a hard time with that concept, too!).   A few years ago a major tire
distributor and Yokohama ran an autocross for employees only.  It was not
designed to test the tires, but the local manager told me the A509s produced
the fastest consistent times.  I suspect they were less sticky than the AVS
but easier to control.  I do know that I had a hard time adjusting from the
A509s to the BFG R1s when autocrossing.  With the A509s I could slide the
rear end a little to help set up my line.  With the really sticky  R1s I
couldn't, and ended up plowing ahead too often and scrubbing off way too much
speed.

		Bill Sims