Re: 164 smog Check

In a message dated 5/22/99 3:32:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

>  My 4 year old, 44K mile, 164LS is about to go in for it's first California
> smog check. They are
>  only few pro-active things I can do besides change the oil and spark
plugs.
> Anything else I can do
>  besides putting snake oil or Wild Turkey in the gas tank?
>
>  - - Do any Northern Californians have any advice on an Alfa-friendly smog
> center, preferably near
>  Sunnyvale? (a little closer than Cammisa)
>
>  and
>
>  - - Does the Adaptive Motronic system behave differently at the Smog
center
> if I have recently been
>  driving sedately or aggressively (or if I reset it)?

Karl:

I just took my 93 164L automatic with 64K miles through Texas smog for the
first time without any prep after driving it here from N.J.  It passed first
time and with flying colors.  If the car has been well maintained you will
probably not have any problem.  I believe that the modern Alfa engines run
extremely clean when they are set up as the factory intended.  Even with some
modifications seems to pass easily. Good luck, anyway.

Jerry in Houston