Re: 164S vs 535i

Hi gang,

To be simplistic about this subject, I'd like to refer to an earlier thread
about Milanos versus M3's.  Buy the Alfa.

I've been down this road before when I wanted a "new" car to replace my
Milano Verde.  My dad had an 87 528i which he then replaced with a 96 525i.
I had plenty of time to evaluate both generations of the 5 series and
thought that they were nice and pleasant to drive.  They even had decent
power for their weight and displacement so I can only imagine the 535i
would have even more go.  However, there was no way I was going to be seen
in a 5-series, so I opted to look at the 1996 M3 instead.

After a few test drives, noting the abundant power and extremely agile
chasis, I opted to buy a used 1994 164LS.

Huh??  What?  How come?  Even though the 164LS checked in at 210 hp versus
the US-spec M3 at 240hp the M3 did not afford me the exclusivity, nor did
it offer me the fun factor.  BMW's are incredibly German (well, DUH).
Exact, precise.  Efficient, cold (thank God my girlfriend doesn't read this
digest).  I don't know how else to describe it.  Sure, it'll get your blood
going as you swing the needle to redline but it does so with such
efficiency that I felt the car was robbing me of my pleasure.  It almost
said, "You want to go fast?  There, we're fast."  No drama.  No audience
participation necessary.

My 164LS will putter around town as well as any BMW or Toyota Camry but
once you wind it out, it's a total riot.  Things *happen* when you put your
foot into the carpet.  While some digesti have referred to the 164 as
"numb" and "unfeeling", I have to add that it's all that with respect to
its predecessors and NOT against its current day competitors which are even
closer to being cruise ships.  Build qualities of the later 164's are also
very good and I've seen a few 100K+ mile examples as being sturdy and
rattle-free, something only BMW's could claim until now.  Both the BMW and
the 164 will cruise at VERY high speeds for a long time comfortably.

Then there's peer appreciation.  They could say, "Wow, you got a new
Bimmer," or they could say, "Wow, what's THAT?"  The choice is yours ;-).

If you have $10,000 to spend and can find a 164S and a 535i in equal
condition, I'd go with the 164S, front wheel drive and all.

Nizam
happy owner of 164LS
and Alfa 75 3.0V6