Re: Intellectual property...

In a message dated 5/20/99 11:33:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< > The way it works in the land of high tech (as it has been related to me)
 > is this:
 >
 > 1. You get a group of engineers that pick apart the product you wish to
 > copy from company X. They get their information any way they can
 > (usually honestly by tinkering). Then this group of engineers writes up
 > very explicit, very complete ENGINEERING SPECIFICATIONS for a "new"
 > product.

 <snip>

 thanks for the excellent write-up (doesn't even remotely resemble how we
 engineer products anywhere I've ever worked, but what the heck).

I saw the story Scott refers to on PBS or Discovery a few years ago.  It is
the way <at least the way they used to> copy microprocessors.  As Scott
wrote, "Virgin" engineers design a processor based on specs given to them by
testers that tinker and hack at new processors.  They use many methods, but
finally come up with just about everything the chip can do.  The story was
demonstrating how microprocessor companies are able to make their chips at
least compatible with Intel.  It didn't really have anything to do with
physical design, so doesn't relate to our chassis stiffener debate, but was
interesting nonetheless.

Jon
Dallas
74 Spider