Re: R&R milano rear brake pads

> From: Ian Lomax <ilomax@domain.elided>
>
> of a Milano, with ABS?  I checked Shiv's site but there was only an
> article about rebuilding the calipers.  I also checked my Milano workshop

Ian, you are almost there. Shiv's site has an article about how to
adjust handbrake on milano. This article provides vital information
about direction to turn for adjustments. This is very importabt as
you do not want to over turn anything or you will damage the caliper.

If you've worked on the fronts, you realize that you have to remove
the 2 pins that guide the pads at same time hold them in the caliper.
The rear's similar except the 2 pins are secured in position by means
of clips. If you can, get a small piece of mirror and flash light to
get a good look from top of the rear caliper. Remove those clips and
you should be able to withdraw the 2 pins and slide the brake pads out.

of course, you'll have to loose the handbrake first before going
to the pads. When you are about to remove the pads, if it's tight,
you will need to with draw the pads away from the rotors. Read
the handbrake article carefully for how to with draw pads on
each side of caliper.

You will probably need to open up the gap even further to install the
new pads (as they are thicker).

replace the pins and clips. Once all done, you'll need to adjust the
pads clearance to rotor and handbrake according to the article again.

Yes, pain to work on. I just learned a trick from Nizam. When lying
down under the car, face up, with your legs pointing to the front
of the car. That made adjusting it much easier.

Happy braking

Jess
ps. ABS or not, doesn't matter.