Lame air-conditioning?

Hello,

I have a 1991 164s that has a sluggish air cond. system...I think. What
is happening is this. The car cools off nicely when on the highway or at
speed for a while. As soon as I have to change to city driving(slower
and more stop and go) the air temp from the vents gets considerably
warmer. I've never experienced this and am wondering if it just needs a
charge or if the car is running to hot? (tends to settle in at the hash
mark between 175 and 250 , I'm not sure what temp that hash mark
represents)

I appreciate any insights.

Mark Philipps
Buffalo, NY