164 hot

What cured the running hot problem on my 164 after:
new temperature sensor
new temperature gauge
replaced thermostat
replaced antifreeze and flushed system
replaced overflow bottle and cap
checked low speed of fan and covered all openings in the front to simulate
the heat necessary to trip second speed (just once)
checked the gauge reading of the thermometer with optical thermometer and
found the same difference at the one described by the digester in the article
selected at the 164 homepage;my conclusion on thisone being that the actual
temperature is actually not that important, but the reading on the gauge,
since there is a temperature lag between the upper part of the thermostat and
the middle part of the radiator anyway and we all have our "signs"as to when
the fan should come on..

Was the radiator.It must have had a slow leak from day one since the shroud
behind it was all rusted.It finally got big enough to leave a puddle under
the car.The probelm was actually that the whole cooling system was never
getting properly pressurized despite my efforts and a pressure check made
initially another hose leak before i could notice that the face of the
radiator towards the condenser was shooting antifreeze into the condenser (
ac not too efficient!,hehe)
I had same deal: 200 and then 230 in stop and go.Weird enough is that instead
of the radiator that i pulled out, i got from IAP one half thickness.They say
it superseeds the original one in the AR microfiches, and i tend to believe
those guys, since i worked with this type of stuff myself.Now, my 164 is a
bit of a weirdo since it was manufactured in 01 '90, and at doing the
steppers i REALLY had to cut that plastic piece..
Sorry for the length of this..
Vlad
'91 164L, now running at 200 constantly
Long Island