Synthetic oil in older Alfas?

I purchased a 67 Duetto 1600 not too long ago which is in need of an oil
change. I don't know what type of oil the previous owner put in it, but
it's not a synthetic. I live in Chicago and would like to put in a
synthetic oil, like Mobil One, that won't thicken during the cold winters.
Has anyone used a synthetic oil in an older Alfa? If so, are there any
tricks/tips to converting over to a synthetic that I should know? What are
the Pros/Cons with using a synthetic oil?

Thanks in advance.

Eric Sands
67 Duetto