RE: Piston - valve kissing

<snip>
> book).  It is
> possible that my belt might have been a bit loose since I have noted that
> they do tend to stretch initially during the first few thousand miles (as
<snip>

fred's assertion was that a properly installed and tensioned belt won't slip
if the engine is turned backwards.

i'm a dissenter also - and this is probably about the only thing fred and i
don't agree on.  a number of years ago, i had a new belt and mechanical
tensioner installed by paul glynn, who's done a bunch of them, and knows how
to do them right.  insisted on leaving the car overnight so they could
tension it at room temp, the proper procedure was used.

that night i parked it in my driveway, mild incline, the car pointed pointed
up, and with it in first gear.  the next morning was very cold, and
immediately upon starting the belt slipped two notches.

i'll always caution people to leave the car in reverse if pointed up a hill
and in first if pointed down a hill.

fwiw,

bs