Re: Gasket sealing for leak-proof Alfa (possible?)

> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:15:52 -0600
> From: Janice & Steve Ashby <sjash@domain.elided>
> Subject: Gasket sealing for leak-proof Alfa (possible?)

> First, thanks to the respondents regarding my recent posts on oil
> pressure and tranny studs.  I pulled a main cap and the bearings are
> pretty well scored and worn, so I'm in rebuilding mode.  The surprises
> continue.  And APE is going to get me some studs (thanks guys, you're
> always there for me!)

That's been my experience with APE, too.

> Now, I recall last time I rebuilt a 2 liter it leaked oil like crazy.
> Can some people share with me the procedure they use to do gaskets on
> an Alfa engine to save my garage floor?

During the years that I was racing Alfas in SCCA, I found one effective
solution to keeping oil inside the engine:  silicon rubber/RTV.  Not
only did the oil stay inside the engine, I got much better reliability
in running the engine, too.  No other gasket sealant was even 1/4 as
effective.

The only lookout with using silicon rubber is that: 1) You must be
meticulous about cleaning all mating surfaces.  Both the gasket surface
and the metal surface must be free of oil.  2) You must be equally
meticulous about applying NO MORE sealant than is required to form a
barrier.  That means running very tiny, continuous beads of the
sealant. It is very easy to apply a little too must sealant and block
an oil passage, particularly on the head/block interface.

And for those nay sayers, any material that is misused will screw the
engine up.

Chris Prael