which AFM?

Went to my friendly recycler for the oft mentioned 528 air flow meter.
Upon examination this particular unit lacked a few terminals.  Whilst
looking around found Nissan AFM's as well as Toyota AFM's that would
appear to be usuable.  Who's the expert on this subject?  How about a
part# to cross reference or narrow it down a bit.  Are we talking post
'90 BMW 528 or what?  Anyone tried an alternative Japanese unit with
success?

Al Fista