Re: CT AROC Time Trials

Thanks Brian for the report.  I have to clarify a couple of things,
though....

Yes, it was my first event, and first time on a track at speed.  I guess
having my kids throw up every time I drive was a pretty good omen that I was
doing okay on the street :)

As far as times go, I would have loved to do sub 1:10's, but in reality, only
managed a 1:11.92 (?) I think.  So, I've got a ways to go to catch
Brian...... a loong ways... I was pretty happy though, and definately
encouraged to keep doing this stuff :)  For an internal benchmark, one guy in
a dk green gtv with essentially the same tires as mine, managed 1:08's.  So,
I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

For anyone who's ever considered driving their car near its edge, I'd
definately encourage you to attend this very well organized and executed
event.  I was thoroughly impressed, and had an absolutely superb instructor.
Had I gone onto the track without the benefit of the 1+ hr classroom session
and the incredible benefit of Larry Morton (my instructor), I would have
wasted mine and everyone elses time.  There are a few tricks to fast driving
that are absolutely non-intuitive. At least for me, they were.

I was really happy that the gtv held up.  Nothing broke on the way up, there,
or the way back.  Temperatures ran a bit higher(on the track) than I would
have liked (~210+ or so), but things cooled down quickly when I slowed down.

In a bizzare twist of fate, I think I was able to cosmically offload my
nagging clutch slippage problem to brian :).  Ever since putting the
engine/trans back together last year (with the old clutch assy installed), I
would get a slipping clutch on 3-4 and 4-5 gear shifts at higher rpms, ONLY
after driving the car for 1hr +.  I though about it alot on the way up, as I
didn't get a chance to replace the clutch, and was reminded of the problem as
I upshifted out of toll booths!  Some how, at the track, I never once
heard/felt a slip (less than one hour driving???), but after the track, on
the 4+ hr drive home, the slipping was gone!  Another benefit to flogging my
car on the track was that oil pressure actually increased a little on the way
home.  After a thorough warm up, I was reading a little less than 55 psi at
5-6krpm.  But, after the track, oil pressure was steady at just a tick above
55 psi.  Go figure.

So, if you ever get a chance to get your alfa on the track, DO IT!  At the
very least, it will make you a safer driver.

bob brady
yardley, pa
'74 gtv
'88 verde