Replacing Alfetta Stater Motor

Hi All

Just thought I'd tell you all about the best way of putting a starter motor
in an Alfetta (GT) - put the motor in the middle of the floor and build the
Alfetta around it! Or you can do it the harder way - the way that I did it
on Saturday, out in the open, in the rain.....great...

Son took the car downtown then rang saying it was dead. Sure enough "click"
from the solenoid and nothing more. To cut a long story short, I started
off taking just the starter off after disconnecting the plastic accelerator
rod, the one item that was more in the way than others. I guess the job
would have been reasonably simple if I had all my tools but some, including
two 13 mm ring/open enders, had been stolen the previous weekend at our
race day at Manfeild along with about $2000 worth of other stuff of mine.
So the procedure was:

- - remove aircleaner, airbox, carburettors
- - struggle with nuts at the back of bellhousing on the starter bolts -
tightened by Ralph Hinckley in 	red jammies
- - top bolt -
forgoodnesssakesits16mmthisisnotanAlfa!heyI'vegotta16mmwrenchwhoopee!
- - discover and free support near engine mount (does not exist on real
Alfas) - by now its truly raining
- - starter found to be Paris Rhone - whatthehellisthatallmystartersareBosch!!!
- - among my spares - a Paris Rhone starter
- -didn'tknowIhaditpaystobeahoarder!!!!
- - clean this side of engine while its exposed
- - fit starter but cannot fully tighten middle bolt - inadequate wrench -
forgetitfornowit'lldo
- - clean carbs
- - replace missint stud on #4 rubber carb-mount must've fallen off in the
race (remove good stud from a used mount by double-nutting)
- - refit carbs and re-connect everything

Total time for job about 2.5 hours but it should have taken far less. In
retrospect, it would have been easier to remove the carbs right from the
start. The short time taken in removing and refitting them, is well worth
it for making the whole job a lot easier and faster overall...... and make
sure you have a 16 mm rin/open-end wrench......mammaflamin'mia!

Hope this helps someone.

Les - Green GTV in Wellington, New Zealand