Re: Gas in the oil

I've seen this fuel in the crankcase phenomenon several times.  You have a
bad fuel injection pump.  The fuel is making it's way past the pistons of
the FI pump down to the oil return system and from there it gets dumped into
the crankcase.  Be VERY careful with this condition.  Do not drive the car.
What you have is very much like a bomb in your crankcase.  Also the oil
could be thinned to the point of not lubricating the bearing properly.

Regards,
Rex Chalmers
Omega Motorsports
- ----------
>From: "Stefano Iachella" <iachella@domain.elided>
>To: "Alfa Digest" <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
>Subject: Gas in the oil
>Date: Fri, May 14, 1999, 9:10 PM
>

>Hey cats, two questions,
>
>Anybody have any idea how my oil could have
>gotten filled with gas? I've been studying the diagrams
>of the smog piping and filtering and there seems
>to be several paths where this could happen. One
>through the oil vapor separator. There is another
>through the gas tank vapor separator. It goes to the
>top of the valve cover. The cloth covered tubes are
>wet and I did top off the gas real good last time to
>get more range out of the car. It's a '79 Alfetta GT
>California smog equiped.
>
>And how bad is it to have run the car this way for
>a few miles? Someone told me the cams need the
>highest pressure and they might be damaged.
>Another told me no damage would have happened
>unless the car overheated because of the friction.
>I never lost pressure, the car never overheated, and
>I drove for 5 or 10 miles. There was a lot of gas in
>there, it was pretty thin when I drained it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Stefano.
>Oakland, CA

End of alfa-digest V7 #717