Re: Synthetic Oil & Flat Cams

Carl:

You wrote:

Stuff deleted ....

> My biggest gripe on synthetic oil is that it seems to find its way or
> even make leaks that weren't there.  Given that the Alfa V-6 uses enough
> oil as it is anyway under normal circumstances,

My wife's 1991 (105,000 mi) and my 1994 (45,000 mi) don't leak or use an
appreciable amount of oil and have been using synthetics and long changes
and short distance driving cycle.

> I see no reason to dump synthetic oil in the engine.

Aside from the owner's manual recommended change interval of 10,000 miles
specifying synthetic 10-40 oil!

Save your money for fuel to drive your car, and your time (either doing the
oil change labor or driving to the mechanic's shop) to have more available
for (see above) (meaningful pause) DRIVING YOUR CAR. Sorry, didn't mean to
shout ?G>.