Chattering spider clutch

For some time now the clutch in my '84 spider has been chattering during
engagement, especially when the engine is warm and under load (e.g. starting
on hills).  Does this indicate a worn or warped clutch?  I have also noticed
some oil around the bell housing, and I'll assume it's coming from the
crankcase since it doesn't smell like transmission oil.  Could an
oil-contaminated clutch behave this way?  If the clutch does need to be
replaced, what should I look out for?  I have a factory manual, a clutch
alignment tool, and some significant experience with maintenance on this car.
 Any help is greatly appreciated.

John Barbera
'84 Spider Veloce
'87 Audi Quattro