Re: fractured rods

At 02:47 PM 5/12/99 -0700, Simon Favre wrote:
>So how come they don't just saw them in half? I work in the semiconductor
>industry, and we gave up on "scribe and break" decades ago in favor of
>diamond saws.

If you saw the cap off, some material is inevitably lost where the cut is
made, bringing the cap (when fitted to the rod) closer to the rod. This in
turn means that the bearing 'eye' is no longer round, necessitating
additional machining of the hole to make it round again. By machining the
hole prior to breaking off the cap, a perfectly round hole can be achieved
with no risk of misalignment, burrs or other nasties that might have an
adverse effect on the end product.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix