Re: Working on Engine on Stand

In a message dated 5/12/99 3:53:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I've removed the intake runners and it appears that there has been some
 porting work done to the heads.  >>

I've had success spinning off the crankshaft nut with engine on stand (needs
to be one of those with 4 casters, not 3!)    The impact wrench seems to be
good at breaking them loose, but I'd put the engine next to something like a
concrete wall and beware of it falling on you....hopefully somebody has a
better idea!  Have also broken the aluminum bellhousing when trying to use
the starter to spin a nut off....
As for the apparent porting, it is likely the work Alfa does on all the
engines.  When I first saw the intake bowl area I was sure the head had
expensive work done, but learned later on that all the Alfa engines have
rudimentary "porting" in that area.  That might be what you are seeing.
Can't tell you how to ID a Sperry head, but I recall they do mark it somehow
and also mark what stage of preparation.  I have a head off at Sperry now.

			Bill