Rare bits

In message , MMosko@domain.elided writes
>In a message dated 5/11/99 1:05:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
>owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
>
><< Subject: 63 Guilia Brakes
>
> One additional comment should be made, that is the difference between the
> Gerling/Lockheed disc brakes system used in the late 63-early 64 series as
> opposed to the ATE system used since then.
> I've raced with the the 64 Gerling disc system with great results for years.
> The pad size is ENORMOUS compared to the ATE and I've had zero problems. The
> only drawback is the unobtanium nature of the disc.
> Don Queen
>  >>

>As for the unobtanium nature of the disc (rotor).... not true at all. If your
>pockets are deep enough you get them from Alfa Stop  (Tony Stevens) in
>England... search him out on the web or from AFRA in Milano. The Rotors
>(discs) will set you back close to $500 a set. Tony told me he has them made
>in very small quantities by Lotus, and thus the price. Actually they're
>nicely made and massive compared to contempory rotors. I was forced to buy a
>set to change my '65 spider veloce from a roller to something we can all be
>proud of.
I think that Mark is a little too melodramatic about paying 500 US bucks
for parts for a car that is as old as I am. If you want cheap, buy a car
thats 10 years old, or maybe 20. When I passed 20 I started asking for
more money from my "owners" so why should the car be different?
Oh, and if you send me a DXF drawing I can probably get some made up,
but for MUCH more than 500 US. That goes for most cast things BTW, my
business gets me in contact with guys with dirty finger nails.
- --
jonathan coates