3:55 vs. 4:11

Bill Henderson said -

"Recently, after the prodding of my friends, I had
found and purchased a Platinum transaxle from a local
salvage yard.

"I guess I am also interested in the previous question
on whether the car will be improved with the 4.11
differential.  The only thing that I can see as a
benefit is acceleration with the cost of top end
speed.

"Has anyone done this transplant and is it worth it?"

Someone addressed this in a previous Digest recently,
saying that as the Milano's first gear is 'way short
anyway, it'd hardly be worthwhile putting a 4:11 diff
back of a 3.0. Let me add that the 4:11 is just barely
livable in a 2.5, and is necessary only because that
engine tends to get caught short of torque when you
really want it. When I'm trickling around town in our
Gold, the only time I ever use 1st is from a dead
stop. If there's any forward momentum at all, 2nd
works just fine, and with NO clutch slipping either.
On the other hand, at any speed over 65 or 70, I keep
wishing I could shift up again. It isn't nearly as
relaxed at 80+ as my old 2000 Berlina was.

Will Owen
Nashville, TN