RE: Spider driveshaft support

Hi Ralph,
 =

> Trying to replace the center support & bearing on my '74 SPider.
> Removing the yoke(?)from the shaft (30mm nut) is proving a royal =

> PITA! Got the nut off but separating yoke from shaft has not
> happened yet - got a puller + penetrating oil + increasing tension
> - still hasn't popped. Suggestions?

Put the nut back on, but leave it loose--about 1/8 inch from the =

yoke if there's that much room. Then put the puller on and tighten =

it quite a bit. Heat the yoke with a torch. Oxy-acetylene is best, =

but propane may work. This may smoke and ruin the center support rubber =

parts, but you're replacing those anyway. Don't get any body parts in =

front of the yoke after the puller is tensioned!!! Heat the yoke body =

evenly. You may have to heat the yoke to red heat, but IME the yoke =

will *pop* off before there is a color change.

The first time I did this I didn't put the retaining nut on and when =

the yoke separated it flew off and dented a metal cabinet. I also lost =

a "D" key when this happened. The next time I did this I "aimed" the =

yoke into a bucket and didn't lose anything. This works, but I think =

leaving the nut on is a better (thou less dramatic) solution.

Make sure you mark all removable pieces with a punch and whiteout
so they can be reassembled.

Good luck,

Rich Hirsch