Spring Spider Tune-up Tip

How would you like to enjoy vastly improved performance from your Alfa for
no greater investment than 15 or so minutes of your time? Take a moment or
two to check the action of your accelerator pedal. If it is not correctly
adjusted you could be missing out on a lot!

I'm speaking from experience here. My 1969 Spider was new to me last
Summer. The previous owner converted from FI to Webers - a conversion I may
reverse eventually. Overall, I was happy with the car, but vaguely
displeased with the performance. It just wasn't as muscular as I felt it
should be. But I had other things to do and put off any serious diagnosis
until this spring. Imagine my dismay this weekend in discovering that a
floored accelerator pedal only opened the throttle plates half way!

Checking is simple. Have your assistant work the gas pedal while you watch
the action of the linkage. With the pedal all the way to the floor, the
throttle plate(s) should be open all the way. (Probably a good idea to do
this with the engine turned off - but it's up to you.;-)) If your throttle
is not opening full, there are two adjustments you can make. First is the
throttle stop which you will find sticking out of the floor underneath the
pedal. It limits pedal travel and is adjustable. There is a jam nut beneath
the carpet/mat. Undo it and screw the stop in to increase pedal travel.
Second place to go (actually the first thing you need to check in cars like
mine) is the throttle linkage. In my case, the previous owner had shortened
the horizontal link to the point where the rubber mounted swivel at the
firewall end of the pedal linkage had been pulled forward towards the front
of the car. The first 1/4 of pedal travel was used up in unloading the
swivel with very little action on the throttle. Adjusting this link
properly gave me back 3/4 of my lost throttle action. Adjusting the pedal
stop gave me the other 25%. The difference in engine performance is
extraordinary. (Also produces some very throaty induction noise I wasn't
hearing before!)

Although my experience may not apply directly to owners of newer spiders,
or coupes or sedans, there are enough similarities in pedal linkages and
set up to make this a worthwhile check the next time you have your hood up.

Bob Abhalter
Grand Rapids MI
'91 164L
'69 Spider