Re revving cold engines ouch! : alfa-digest V7 #697

Steve driving a164 TS around Cumbria UK writes about revving cold engines.

I think you'll regret redlining the cold engine in your Alfa. Using
synthetic oil is pretty well all you can do to reduce the wear and tear on
a cold engine, unless you are prepared to go easy on it until it warms
up.Two areas of wear should concern you. The valve train is not pressure
lubricated. The valve guides and cam lobes rely on oil distributed from the
lubricating outlets in the cam and cam bearings. The cylinder walls are
also splash lubricated. High engine revs translate to high cam loading and
high piston speeds further challenging the lubricant,when cold.

In Canada, normal winter ambient temperatures include  -30 C. My Alfa 164
3.0 l V6 engine never reaches full operating temperature during my 10 to 15
minute drive to work. I don't ever use the engine's potential in winter
until after the coolant heats up to near normal, which requires about 15 to
20 minutes of normal City driving.

Idling an engine doesn't do much to warm up the oil, which is the key.
Driving the car gently until it warms up is a much better technique as the
oil pressure goes up with revs and the engine warms up faster, as do the
gearbox oil and wheel bearing grease. Synthetic oil flows fast in cold
temperatures. Ironically, using lighter throttle and higher revs puts more
waste heat into the oil and water jacket and heats up the engine
faster,wasting fuel in the process.

If you feel you have no alternative to redlining your cold engine I suggest
you tootle up to the "on ramp" using as light a throttle and reasonable
revs as you can. Then hit the on ramp at as high an initial speed as you
can manage, remember an Alfa really handles, and try to use the minimum
revs and heaviest throttle without flooring the accelerator. These
techniques should minimize the wear on the engine.

If you are driving a turbo, be even kinder to a cold engine, as well as
when shutting down a hot one. I also run a SAAB 9000 Turbo (1986) which now
has over 200,000 km of very cold winter and very hot summer driving, all
pretty lead footed. Turbo engines present special lubrication challenges. I
never redline a cold turbo and always let the engine idle for 30 seconds
after a hot run, before shutting off. I change the oil and filter
frequently as per SAAB recommendations. The engine is as strong now as when
first run in and uses very little oil. I believe driving the SAAB gently
until warm, and regular oil changes,have been the keys to its longevity.

Wave to my Uncle Bill as you blast by him on the motorway.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner