Spica questions

If somebody out there could help me with the following that would be great.
The problem I have is the car doesn't come off of idle very well. There are
also a few things I would like to know also. I thought I had it licked when
I set everything up after my head gasket change but I was led astray. I
forgot to set the timing and it was WAY advanced, oops, the M mark was just
past the pointer at idle. However, the car behaved marvelously in the
driveway, came off of idle with a lot of snap. Now that the M is at the
pointer at 5000 there is a little hesitation back which has been there
since I have had the car. I have set the spica to spec 3 times, obviously
not very well but I tried. I have NGK B7ES installed and they tell me the
car is a little rich, really dark almost black but dry. Some techniques I
have read say a rich mixture will solve the hesitation off idle but...

Curiousities:
What effect does the little screw under the TA have. Mixture throughout the
rpm range, position of the 3D cam?

I can use my Shankle sure start in place of a dummy actuator, yes/no?

Since I have a sure start I can do all my pump gap adjustments on a cold
engine?

One source off of a good club web site says I can adjust idle speed with
the short rod. I though that was done with the squeezable O-ring in the
idle air manifold. Which is correct?

DISCO VOLANTE, I bet if you were scrolling through you stopped here. :-))
Have a good weekend.

Carson Damm
Ft. McMurray, Alberta
Canada