Synthetic Leaks

Subject: Re:  Synthetic Leaks

Rich Wagner wrote:

>I have a car that's been running on Amsoil for 160,000 miles.  (With oil=

and filter
>changes every 12,000.)  It has no sludge in it at all.  =

You may be right, Rich. I never leave my oil in past 3500-4000 at the mos=
t,
and usually change it about every 3,000-3,300 miles. Kind of a pain in th=
butt, but it does keep the engine nice and clean. I'd say a 12k oil chang=
interval would be a car that's not getting regular maintenance, but there=

we can agree to disagree. (po TAE to,  po TAH to...)

I think the real question may be which approach you prefer. As much as I
may gripe about having to do another oil change (oil change? Geez, I just=

DID an oil change!) I've got to admit that I kind of like spending a litt=
le
quality time down under with the mechanicals from time to time. I recogni=
ze
that for most people, it's just an inconvenience, and if you can get away=

with an extended interval using a synthetic, go for it. I wouldn't want t=
leave people with the impression that the ONLY way to keep motors clean a=
nd
sludge free is to use synthetics, however. From my experience, that's jus=
not so.