Re: AT fluid change

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Rick - there's a technical service bulletin on the refill quantity of
>  the AT.  I believe (without looking - not near the info) that the refill
>  upon servicing (for filter and fluid replacement) is 5 quarts.  Note,
>  the total capacity is 9 quarts.  Upon complete disassembly the whole
>  amount is needed, and on PDI at a dealership I believe they also needed
>  to top up (as stated in the TSB).

the balance of the fluid is held in the torque converter.  I recently had
this service done on my 96 Cougar 4.6L V-8.  After opening up the tranny to
replace the filter the tech opened the AT fluid coolant line to the radiator
and inserted a T or bypass or something.  Then with the engine running and
the tranny in park they used the pump in the tranny to pump out all of the
old fluid and at the same time replaced it with the new fluid.  They said it
was the only way to completely change the fluid, including that left in the
torque converter.  Don't know how you would do it by adding the fluid by the
quart.

Jerry in Houston