Color names

Jack Hagerty remarks that "in the common usage that I hear it's usually
"Italian Red" or "French Blue" but when it comes to the English color, the
word "Racing" is always inserted."

I would guess that when the first boatload of TC MGs landed the color was
called British Racing Green either by the sales organization or by the early
customers, who were often (at least the ones I met) rather affected
string-back-glove types, before SCCA lost its social-fraternity exclusivity.
The occasional Ferrari or Maserati came much later and in far smaller
numbers, and the only French cars I remember from the era were Renault 4CVs,
usually mouse gray, and the occasional Citroen Leger which was invariably
black.

The stock colors on the 1900 Berlinas, presumably reflecting Italian tastes,
included four different grays (Grigio Alba, Grigio Notte, Grigio Po, Grigio
Marina), beige, two blues, purple, and a "Nettle Green" (Verde Ortica) but no
reds. In seven years of production the Giulietta Berlina was available in two
shades of coral, but in six grays, nine different blues, one green, (verde
urano, uranium green) sand, black, and white. I suspect that the ubiquitous
(in the USA) red may be part of Max Hofmann's legacy.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.