'77 spider starter problems

Hi All,
I'm looking for some help with my starter. Back on Monday I cleaned the
engine with Gunk (didn't spray directly at the starter, but it's possible it
got some water on it). The car started fine all Monday afternoon and night,
and I got it up to freeway speeds to dry everything out. Yesterday I tried
to start it and I could hear the solenoid click, but the starter wouldn't
turn. I cleaned all the wires going to the starter, cleaned the contacts on
the little relay that's connected to the starter, and checked that the
engine had a good ground (by the way, where is the actual ground strap?). I
also checked the battery, and it's fine. Is there anything else I can check
before taking the starter out of the car? Might push-starting the car help
shake anything loose that's causing a problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Chris Keen
'77 spider
Los Altos, CA