Synthetic Leaks

>AlfaBill wrote:

>I have to take objection to the thread about synthetic oils leaking.

FWIW, I think the trouble with synthetics leaking may have more to do wit=
making the change to synthetics AFTER you've been using a conventional oi=
for a long time. It seems as though the seals "set up" depending on what
you've been using, and don't like to get a big change in chemistry all of=
sudden. I think this is sort of like the rash of fuel system leaks the
government has been telling us have nothing to do with the change to MTBE=

oxygenated fuels, or at least that's my theory. =

After replacing the sump gasket and torquing it properly, I've used
synthetic motor oil exclusively in my Moto Guzzi for about four or five
years (air cooled motor, and it sits during the rainy season!) and my
garage floor is dry as a bone underneath. =

I've also got this to say about synthetic motor oils: I don't use
synthetics in my cars, mostly because it's a lot more expensive, I change=

the oil about every 3k, I don't see any real benefit, and, yes, I'm
concearned about leaks! =

Granted, in a race motor you may see a little more power. In an air coole=
motor like the Guzzi's (or a VW or Porsche) that can get really hot in th=
summer, in a car that doesn't get it's oil changed very often, or in a
"special" car that doesn't get driven very often, you may see a little le=
ss
sludge and varnish. In a car that sits outside in sub zero weather you ma=
get easier starting. For a normal, water cooled, street motor that gets
regular maintenance, though, I think MOST people using synthetics are
kidding themselves, but that's just my opinion.

OK, down off the soap box.....