Re: Everything...

Yup, it's been 2 weeks since I read the digest and now there are a lot
of things to react on . .  :)

Room in GTV vs. Alfetta:
 I'm not sure, but isn't the GTV a "hatchback", "third door", "coupe"
or something, whilst the Alfetta is a true sedan? So, isn't this like
comparing apples with oranges? I can shove a lot in my Alfetta and even
more if there were more headroom, i.e. 8 crates of beer fit; but not
on top of eachother.

Synthetic vs. "ordinary" oil:
 I always use Agip Sint2000 in my new cars (or rebuild for that matter)
and regular Agip 10W50(semi-synthetic) in the old ones (after 60kmiles)
Ever since I started using these oils, I had no problem whatsoever with
any engine (ranging from 1.5 boxer through 2.0 4-cil to 2.5v6)
I think it's also a "religious" thing: "Alfa prefers Agip"
(oh and btw I solely use "ricambi originale" oil filters, ask me why)

Colours:
 Isn't that why the red light is on top and the green on the bottom?
(traffic lights that is)

Whistling Dell'Ortos:
 Check your "rubbers", sounds like they're leaking.

DYI fixing:
 Although Alfa has a reputation for "hard to get by places to untie that
bolt", the same holds for other Italian, French, and even some German
brands of cars. For example, to change the sparkplugs on a Ferrari
testarossa, you'll have to take out the engine . . . changing sparkplugs
on a Citroen BX...hope your spine is in shape :) ever looked under a
(modern) Mercedes hood??? When working on my alfa, I sometimes whish
it was like my VW Polo I had, some 10 years ago, now THAT was easy :)
btw ever tried to change the starter motor of a v6 Milano?????
(good thing they don't fail eh?)

Cardisc:
 www.cardisc.com is down, period.

Camber and tyre wear:
 Now this is an interesting one: If your tyres wear on one side, it's
usually wrong toe setting. It should be -4 to +1 degrees, depending on
type of Alfa, there've seen postings in the digest pointing to this.
Incorrect camber won't wear your tires like incorrect toe will.
Camber is actually only a concern when you race a car, or when your's
had had an accident.
To give an example, On Triumph Spitfires camber is adjusted by the load
of the car; the more load, the more negative camber. It doesn't however
show up on your tyres being worn from inside out.

Virii:
 Never, ever, post virii warnings. If you use a "condom" on your
machine,
you're well protected. If it's a "legal" one the better yet.
I don't use any virus protection (on my computer that is) and have never
been touched by any virus.

Gaskets:
 No tricks, no paste, no nothing...
When you install a new gasket, don't use gasket sealing or other sorts
of sh*t. It's been made to seal, just install the gasket and _torque_ to
the right moment. Than it won't leak. (Usually, if otherwise, increase
torque with 10Nm.)

Posting to the digest:
 Everyone using MSOutlook, please stop replying! It renders you reply
unreadable, indents everywhere!
Just compose a new message to the digest, and if neccessary add a "re:"
in your subject field, don't make your lines longer than 78 characters,
and turn of "Recipient can read HTML" or someting. Thankyou!

Chris Piepers
The Netherlands

Alfasud (red)
Alfetta (red)