RE: Synthetic Oil & Flat Cams

Chris.Prael@domain.elided (Chris Prael) wrote:

> If your cams showed significant wear after 80k miles with
> synthetic, they would have shown the same amount of wear
> after 30k to 40k miles with multigrade.

The situation I've heard of is 70k miles on conventional
oil and no noticeable cam wear, switch to synthetics, no
power and flat cams at 80k.

> Likewise, if non-synthetic oil was used for a significant
> portion of an engines life, the wear on all parts would be
> increased (not just cam wear).

The best theory going, as I described in my post, is that
the oil lubricating the cam lobes is captive.  Those metal
particles need to get sucked through the filter, or left
alone at the bottom of the oil troughs (which is where
they stay with conventional lubricants).

Regards,

- - Tom
thomasw@domain.elided