Re: Synth oil/flat cam

> From: Thomas Washburn <thomasw@domain.elided>
>
> The theory, anyway, is that the extra suspension additive
> in synthetics picks up the build-up of metal particles at
> the bottom of the camshaft oil troughs on older engines.
> The oil in this area of the Alfa V-6 is fairly captive
> and doesn't make it through the filter very often, so it
> stays in suspension and abrades the cam lobes.

This is probably a very good description. My milano has been
running on full sythetic oil for many years. Last time while
changing the 2 piece headgasket off my 155k verde (remember the
longest lasking 2 piece headgasket story?) I found significant
gooey stuff in those wells. Can't imagine how much more goos
would be in there with conventional oil.

Jess