Re:Synthetic Oil alfa-digest V7 #682

I too have not been able to post to the digest by replying as instructed to
alfa-digest@domain.elided. Trying the "reply" to the digest option, here goes.

Contrary to popular assumption, Synthetic oil is not actually synthetic in
the usual sense of the word, as in Nazi Germany synthetic which was
produced from rubber or coal oil. Rather, it refers to "de constructing"
regular petroleum oil into various components and re assembling these into
a lubricant with the desired characteristics, Synthesizing if you will.

By doing so the oil engineers remove most of the undesirable waxy
components and build a lubricant with superior viscosity characteristics,
etc. This is one reason synthetics can have such wide viscosity ratings
without the usual drawbacks. Synthetic 5W 50 is much superior to 20W 50
conventional oil, for example.

Furthermore, because "synthetic" is just petroleum oil there are no
compatibility problems with mixing with conventional oils, in fact Castrol
for one makes a blended synthetic which combines some synthetic with
conventional oils giving you some of the superior characteristics of
synthetic with lower costs of conventional oil. As usual, mixing the two
also involves compromising the full performance of synthetic.

Go ahead and do the synthetic thing and don't worry about the half liter or
so of conventional oil remaining in the sump, bearings, cylinder walls and
various nooks and crannies. After 2 or 3 changes almost no conventional oil
will remain in the engine. Almost the full benefits of synthetic will be
present at the first oil change, particularly because Alfa's have enormous
sump capacity by modern standards.

Major advantages of synthetics include vastly superior cold start
protection, including substantially reduced loads on the starter and
battery (we know up here in Canada, I once left my baby out over 24 hours
at below -30 C and she started instantly, if somewhat unhappily) and
significantly better protection at high operating temperatures and engine
loads.

 If your engine uses oil, particularly past the intake guides, expect
increased oil consumption as synthetics actually run very thin for a given
viscosity rating. My 164 has used Selenia 10W 40 (Italian synthetic) from
new and uses about one liter for 4000km at 105,000 km. My present mechanic
has recommended I try Agip Racing 5W 50 so we'll see if the consumption
increases. Castrol makes Syntec 5W 50 which is popular up here and both
Quaker State and Pennzoil make fine products as does the original at the
game, Mobil who apparently has a 0W 50 available in some markets!!! Must
flow like water.

Hope this info is of interest

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada

91 164L ( yes, done the stepper motors, done the transmission bearing, had
the car from new and can't bear to part with it, I think!)

End of alfa-digest V7 #684