Small starters

I have fitted the later small starters on quite a few cars with absolutely
no problems. The real problem here is that it requires a different ring
gear. The old large starters on say a 74 GTV used a 130 tooth ring gear.
The small starter uses a 131 tooth ring gear. Both ring gears are
interchangeable on the flywheels (no machining necessary).  These starters
will turn the engine over just as well as the large starters and they save
weight and are easy to install and remove after the initial hassle of
changing the ring gear.  I think that Russ must have had a defective
starter to begin with as I have not seen a problem with the torque of the
small starter.