Re: alfa-digest V7 #680 - Bosch Starters

Brian,
	The late 80's Bosch cars have a high speed with gear reduction
starter.  My 87 Graduate had one that drove me nuts about 2 years ago.  I am
not sure what years used them, but I know my 87 ended up with an 84 starter.
As my 91 does not have one, I suspect Alfa had problems with them and only
used them about 3 years.
	The concept was that the high speed with sun and planet gears gave
more torque.  They sell similar starters for racing chevys.  At 7 pounds the
high speed starter weighed about 5 pounds less than the 84 starter at 12
pounds.  It has permanent magnets around the outside of the case rather than
electro magnets.  The case is stainless steel under the paint.
	My problem was the starter would turn the engine with the spark plugs
out.  That it would not turn the engine with the plugs in (the normal
condition 8^)   was why I quit messing with it.
	I tore it down several times to try and fix it.  It would bench test
just fine, but did not have power when installed.  I suspect that one of the
permanent magnets had developed a crack that I could not see.  Thus it was
down on power.
	I am sure it will not fit on 74 and newer Alfas.  There have been
some threads on replacing early starters with later ones in past digests.
	If you are building a race car, consider saving 5 pounds and using
this starter.  I will probably have mine professionally rebuilt and use it on
my race car.
	The smaller starter is much easier to install on a Bosch car.
Working the large starter back under the intake plenum is a real pain.  The
large starter also requires the supplemental mount from the front of the
starter to the motor mount.  The high speed starter does not have this mount
(or mine did not).
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City