FrankenSpider: Epilogue (longish)

Today marks the end of the FrankenSpider Project. I took it home from the
shop where I'd returned it after 450 miles of break-in and testing on the
road to complete a final, short list of detail niggles. With this work
completed, I've declared the assembly of this '78/'79/'82 Spider
completed.

FrankenSpider feels tight and solid on the road, it handles great. The
engine is eager and wants to rev, rev, rev -- it's the spunkiest Spider
I've driven since my '71 1750. The taller gearing makes it feel relaxed
at 80-85 mph cruising speeds, the brakes work great. Unadulterated Alfa
Romeo entertainment. I love the sound of that engine...

So how much did it cost and how much time did it take? It's worth knowing
if you consider having a car like this built and don't have your own
garage space to do it in. Not counting the cost of the donor cars (pretty
cheap at free, $600, $900) or State DMV registration/tax and Insurance,
here's the tally:

1/21/99         $225.00
   A-Z Towing - transport three cars to Cammisa from Cupertino

2/15/99        $5000.00
   Cammisa - assembly, construction of one car
   from three, swap entire power train and suspension,
   conversion in '79 chassis to '82 Bosch L-Jet engine
   configuration. 60 hours labor plus misc parts.

2/15/99         $165.00
   APE - used header/catcon, throttle bellcrank assy,
   temp sensor, ignition wire set

2/18/99          $72.21
   Palo Alto Speedometer - electronic tachometer
   checked for accuracy, calibrated, cleaned and a new
   chrome bezel fitted.

4/16/99        $4304.75
   Cammisa - engine overhaul with 10.5:1 pistons, new
   top, countless details, debug EFI, prep for smog

4/16/99          $38.25
   CA refereed smog certification

4/16/99           $8.65
   Chevron - Techron fuel injection additive

4/21/99          $35.00
   Target - purchase Mobil 1 15w50, 8 qts

4/29/99         $321.31
   Cammisa - finished up all final details after
   450 miles driving, do break-in oil change.

Tallied up, that's $10,170 minus the $4,100 I recovered from the
collision in January and the $350 I sold the '79 engine for, or one
"custom built" Spider for around $5650. Ok, add another $1500 for the
donor cars. 3 months time total. Is that good deal or not? I don't know,
it's a very satisfying car and a darn good Spider.

There's more to do, of course, but it's second order importance ...
cosmetics and detailing, mostly, to be done over the next couple of
years. Everything in the car now is serviceable and decent condition, but
these things will put the icing on it in the future:

- - interior refurbishment with new carpeting, recover leather seats,
  install the new dashboard
- - fit and wire up the radio/sound system
- - have the body prepped and painted
- - fit the lightweight fiberglass bumper replacements
- - polish the alloy wheels and fit 195/65 tires
- - build up and install a new gearbox with lightened internals for
  better shifting

I have to express publicly my appreciation for the work done by the guys
in the shop at Cammisa Motors. Mike, LarryT, Leo and Hektor worked all
the details on what was a pretty much a major pain in the butt job, and
did it at what I consider a very fair price.

I'll be seeing you on the road. You'll know me by the huge grin on my
face. I'm going to try to make it up to the APE swap meet this weekend
... perhaps I'll see you there!

best,
Godfrey