re: Engine Preservation Advice Sought

In AD v7n674, Dave wrote:

<<Is there anything I can do to help keep the engine in good condition while
it
waits for me to complete the bodywork?>>

I'm in a similar situation and my engine will be coming home from Wes
Ingram's shop in the next couple of weeks. Wes and I were discussing how to
preserve his great work while I took my merry time completing the remainder
of the car.

The solution we hit on was to do what you described -- remove the plugs and
squirt some oil in the holes. Turn the engine every once in a while to keep
the sides coated.

When I'm ready to start the engine (well, maybe a day or two before), I'll
pour some mineral spirits (paint thinner) into each cyl and turn the engine
to wash away the oil coat. An oil change to rid the system of the "spirited"
oil and we're on our way.

This will allow the rings to seat normally after the engine rebuild yet keep
everything protected until engine start. If you're not doing rings, you may
not need to perform the "wash" step.

Hope this helps.

ciao

Tom